Scholarly Societies Project

Académie Royale de Peinture et de Sculpture


Académie Royale de Peinture et de Sculpture =
Royal Academy of Painting and Sculpture
Founding of the Society
Authority / Notes
This date is supported by the Académie des Beaux-Arts website.

In 1648, the Académie was created by the young Louis XIV on the initiative of Charles Le Brun, official painter to the Court, according to p.282 of Institut de France (1995).

On 1793, August 8, it was suspended by the revolutionary Convention Nationale, when the latter decreed the abolition of "toutes les académies et sociétés littéraires patentées ou dotées par la Nation" [all academies and learned societies licensed or endowed by the Nation] (Institut de France (1995), p.299).

Two years later, on 1795, October 25, the Convention Nationale created the Institut National des Sciences et des Arts, which essentially consolidated all the former academies in one (Institut de France (1995), pp.215-216). Its Troisième Classe was entitled the Classe de Littérature et Beaux-Arts, and covered grammar, ancient languages, poetry, antiquities and monuments, painting, sculpture, architecture, music, and oratory (Institut de France (1995), p.20). In a sense, this Classe took over some of the responsibilities of several former Académies, including the Académie Royale de Peinture et de Sculpture.

According to p.29 of Institut de France (1995), Bonaparte decided, on the advice of a commission, to resurrect the former academies, but within the bosom of the Institut; so, on 1803, January 23, the Institut was re-organized into four classes corresponding to the academies suppressed by the Revolution. The Quatrième Classe: Beaux-Arts corresponded to a union of the Académie Royale de Peinture et de Sculpture (founded 1648); Académie Royale de Musique (founded 1669); Académie Royale d'Architecture (organized 1671).

On 1816, March 21, Louis XVIII issued an order fixing the statutes of the Institut; one notable change was the return of the designation of Académie to the constituent parts of the Institut (Institut de France (1995), p.310). The Quatrième Classe thus became the Académie des Beaux-Arts.

Their journal Procès Verbaux, covering 1648 to 1793, the years the academy existed, was published in 10 volumes by Anatole de Montaiglon, long after the fact, namely from 1875 - 1892.

More information on the history of this Academy may be found in Anatole de Montaiglon (1853), written by the same person who two decades later published the ten-volume Procès Verbaux referred to above.

Seat of the Society
Authority / Notes
This location is supported by the Académie des Beaux-Arts website.
Name of the Society
1648 - 1793 Académie Royale de Peinture et de Sculpture Its publications.
Académie des Beaux-Arts = Academy of Fine Arts Webpage =
Journals of the Society
Full Journal Title
1648 - 1793
(v.1 - v.10)
Procès Verbaux : 1648-1793 / de l'Académie Royale de Peinture et de Sculpture ; publiés pour la Société de l'Histoire de l'Art Français d'après les registres originaux conservés à l'École des Beaux-Arts, par M. Anatole de Montaiglon
Published long after the fact, namely from 1875 - 1892.
According to the Bibliot. Nat. France cat., v.1 = 1648-1672; v.2 = 1673-1688; v.3 = 1689-1704; v.4 = 1705?-1725?; v.5 = 1726-1744; v.6 = 1745-1755; v.7 = 1756?-1768?; v.8 = 1769-1779.
[Bibliot. Nat. France cat.; Univ. of Chicago cat.; Harvard Univ. cat.]


Scholarly Societies Project